Saturday, February 15, 2014

Foods Which Lower Cholesterol, What's on the Menu?

We know that lowering our cholesterol will lead to improving our health. You might be curious to know which foods to select for your meals that will actively lower your bad LDL cholesterol level and increase the good HDL cholesterol level. So how about going grocery shopping with me as I pick out some healthy foods that will fit a good happinesslifetime.com low cholesterol diet plan?

Whats the Plan?

First, just a few words about my diet plan and how I got motivated to actually build a plan. It started with a medical checkup, which included a blood test.

The results, that were shocking to me, showed a high level of LDL cholesterol accompanied by a low-level of HDL cholesterol in my blood. My medical care provider explained that my cholesterol balance was outside the acceptable guidelines for good health. That was not good news. In fact I was informed that if this condition continues, it will lead to a high risk for many serious, unpleasant and even life-threatening diseases. These include heart disease, hypertension and stroke which head a list of other health problems that will cause a lower quality of life than anyone would want.

So, being a lover of life and having no desire to diminish my ability to live life to the fullest, I pledged to accept the consensus of medical advice pointing out the need for a more disciplined diet, a diet using healthy low cholesterol food products. I enter the grocery store with a list composed of recommended food categories known to lower bad cholesterol.

Fresh Food Section

I head over to the fresh food area where many vegetables and fruits are neatly laid out in a colorful pattern. I spot two types of avocados, selecting several of each type. Although this fruit has a rather high fat content, it also has near magical properties for lowering cholesterol. A very tasty addition for salads, dips and sandwiches. I select some other common salad making basics, including carrots and onions. But, reluctantly roll past the many high calorie and fat loaded salad dressings.

I spot some red and green apples that look great, so I select a bag of each. Apples contain pectin, a soluble fiber that assists in lowering cholesterol and can be great for snacks and also for making tasty smoothies. Throw in some fresh grapefruit and navel oranges and we have the ingredients to blend a very healthy and delicious smoothie.

I have never tried eating artichoke before, but it has high marks on the lower cholesterol list. So I select several along with some fresh squash, sweet potatoes and broccoli. All of which will be prepared in a healthy manner by cooking either by steaming or using polyunsaturated olive oil.

Spotting a nut display, I select a bag of almonds, which contain monounsaturated fat and are high on the list of healthy cholesterol lowering snacks. Just a few steps away are the cereals. Checking my list, I note that oats and other whole grains are high in soluble fiber which will perform a dual role of stabilizing HDL cholesterol while also lowering the bad LDL cholesterol. I check the ingredient labels and select several varieties of cereal that contain whole grains.

Meats

Quickly passing the tempting hamburger, roasts and steaks, I select some skin less chicken breasts, recalling that white meat is the recommended chicken cuts that should be prepared by either baking or cooking with non saturated oils.

Next come the seafood counters. The salmon looks very colorful and fresh. Knowing that fish is loaded with cholesterol busting omega-3, several fillets quickly go into my cart. I note a wide array of seafood types and make a mental note to try some of the different varieties in the future.

I avoid all types of processed meat such as hot dogs, sausage, and deli meats that are made from processed mixtures of 'who knows what' cuts and types of meat, tasty, but certain to be loaded with artery clogging trans fat.

Drinks

As I roll my shopping cart into the soft drink section, I select a large package of bottled water instead of the usual soft drink 12-packs that are loaded with sugar. I pick up a large bottle of lemon concentrate to give a touch of zest to the water. Then I turn the corner and head down the aisle containing many types of wine, selecting a Merlot and a Pinot Noir. Red wine has particular antioxidant properties derived from a phenolic compound called resveratrol, the source of which is the skin and stems of many types of red grapes.

Dairy Products

We need to have some milk to host the whole grain cereals we selected. The best choice is low fat milk, either 2% or nonfat. I select the 2%, opting for a compromise that retains some of the milk's flavor. For butter the selection is a substitute for real butter that does not contain trans or saturated fats. I spot a container of egg substitute. Although new to me, it's worth a try. I might like it while avoiding the high cholesterol content of real eggs.

Breads and Spices

Remembering that whole grains are healthiest, I pick up one loaf of multi grain bread, passing up the taste tempting packaged cakes, pies and cookies that are probably cooked using trans fat. I choose some fresh garlic, which is on my list with an asterisk to emphasize foods with super cholesterol busting properties.

As I head to the checkout line, I feel very confident that I am prepared to be off to a good start with a diet to better my health by eating the right foods that will restore healthy cholesterol levels.








Rhea Hamilton is an activist and educator in methods to maintain a healthy cholesterol balance in your blood stream. To discover more about lowercholesterolblog.com/foods-for-lower-cholesterol foods which lower cholesterol and other ways to control your cholesterol blood level - lowercholesterolblog.com Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment