Monday, February 17, 2014

Omega-3 - How I Lowered My Cholesterol

On one of my annual physical check ups several years ago, my cholesterol level was not where I wanted it to be. My LDL or low-density lipoprotein, the bad cholesterol, was 120 mg/dL. My HDL, or high-density lipoprotein, which is the good cholesterol, was measured at 60 mg/dL.

Though these numbers are not bad, I wanted to get my HDL higher and my LDL lower. I asked my doctor for some over the counter medicines I could take or what I could do. He recommended I exercise, change my diet to ingest less saturated fat, and take some supplements.

He mentioned several supplements but recommended Omega-3, not only its ability to lower cholesterol, but also the other health benefits associated with it. These other health benefits include such items as improved blood pressure, reduction in cancer risk, improved mental conditions, reduction in occurrence of depression and weight loss.

I researched to see how Omega-3 could lower my cholesterol. What I found was LDL, comes from the liver, which can produce all the cholesterol you need. But we also introduce LDL to our bodies through the sources of food we eat, such as saturated fats, genetics, excess weight and lack of exercise.

Omega-3 creates HDL or high-density lipoprotein, which is the good cholesterol. This cholesterol will remove the cholesterol from arteries and return it back to the liver where it is removed as waste.

Well I did a life style change. I changed my diet to include less saturated fat, more fruits and vegetables, more poultry and cold-water fish. Cold-water fish is rich in Omega-3 that my doctor recommended I take. This class of fish includes salmon, trout, tuna, sardines and anchovies.

My problem was I did not like fish. So I found some quality fish oil supplements to replace the fish I was suppose to eat. I had to ensure that the supplements I took included the fatty acids found in Omega-3. Theses fatty acids are DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid).

Well my next annual physical was much improved. HDL was 111 mg/dL and LDL was 86 mg/dL. needless to say I was quite pleased with the results.

Conclusion

If you need to lower your cholesterol there are several things you can do. What you want to do is raise your HDL and reduce your intake of LDL. To do this change your diet to include less saturated fats, more fruits and vegetables and cold-water fish.

If you are like me and do not like fish, then a fish oil supplement that contains Omega-3 fatty acids are just as good.








Walter Chase made a life style change when he was 35. When that happened he started taking supplements, exercising, which included weight lifting and running. Walter started taking Omega - 3 supplements five years ago. Receive a free e-book all about Omega-3 at his web site goodfattyacids.com goodfattyacids.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment