Saturday, December 22, 2012

Struggling Up and Down on the Atkins Diet

Since I got out of college, I have struggled with my weight... adding about 3 to 5 pounds per year over the course of 20 years. If you do the math, those pounds start to add up. During that time I have tried several different types of diets, but the one I seem to always come back to is the Atkins Diet. This diet that seems to agree with, but it is not always easy to stay on either.

I have concluded that not every diet is right for every person. My brother-in-law cannot stand the Atkins diet, and does quite well eating low fat. For me, my body seems to really work well on a low carbohydrate diet. My weight comes off. My blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, blood sugar, and other numbers all come well into normal ranges. My energy levels goes way up. My knees stop hurting. I sleep better and stop snoring. I simply feel good all around.

However, this has been the problem for me over the last decade. The Atkins diet is difficult for me to stick with. Let me be clear. This is not a low carb diet problem. This is true of any diet, but specifically, I'm focusing on Atkins.

Let me clarify for those critical of Dr. Atkins and low-carb diets. Atkins is not a "meat and cheese" diet. The people who say this do so out of ignorance. During the first 2 weeks you focus on proteins and low carbohydrate foods. You do eat a lot of meat and cheese during that time. But the diet is not just about the introductory 2 week period. The primary purpose during this time is to break one's addiction to sugars and high carb foods.

After your first two weeks, you begin adding "good" carbohydrates into your diet. After several weeks, the Atkins diet becomes a diet filled with lean meat, healthy dairy, lots of veggies, good fruit, nuts, and other things. You can begin adding whole grain breads into your diet as well.

The Atkins Diet is a great diet that works well for me. With that said, it has been difficult for me to stay on. The pounds come back quickly when I cheat or begin eating things I should not. A slice of pie, a fast food meal, or a slice of pizza... and it's all downhill. Once I get a taste in my mouth of these high carb foods, I begin sliding down that slippery slope and begin packing on the pounds again.

I estimate I have yo-yoed back and forth within a 20-30 pound range about 20 times now. Each time I start the Atkins train up again, it is more difficult to drop the weight and break through weight again.

The one thing I have lacked during this time is a network or accountability group. It would be nice to have an Atkins group available, much like they have other weight loss groups. But, whether in a group or not, I am the one who makes the choices.

One of the phrases I am so tired of on diet infomercials is, "It's not your fault." Yes it is. No one forced me to eat a Twinkie or quarter pounder. Whether I go Atkins again, try Weight Watchers, or whatever else, it all comes down to daily choices to eat and stay healthy.








Rich has been writing articles for nearly 8 years. Come visit his latest website over at dual-coffee-makers.com Dual Coffee Maker which offers reviews of the best dual-coffee-makers.com/dual-coffee-makers Dual Coffee Makers for both consumers and small businesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment