Thursday, January 17, 2013

Lowering Cholesterol on a Low-Fat 80-20 Diet

My husband forgot to take the trash can to the curb on trash pick up day this week. I heard the truck coming so I dashed outside just in time to get our load added to the collection. It was cold outside and I was making a run for the warmth of my house when I heard my neighbor whom I hadn't seen in a while call to me.

"You're looking slim and trim!"

"I am?" I was shocked that she could tell a difference in my shape.

I had been eating a low-fat diet for about three weeks and I could tell a difference in the way my clothes fit but my weight hadn't changed when I had my doctor's appointment last month. I figured it was just my wishful thinking, but when Wanda noticed a change I realized my eating plan must be working.

Speaking of doctors, mine wants to put me on cholesterol-lowering medication, but I begged him to let me try to get the levels down through diet and exercise. He's giving me three months or I'm on the pill!

I know that cutting out refined sugar and excess carbohydrates and eating a low-fat, high-fiber diet will bring the levels down-especially if combined with regular exercise. Even a small amount of exercise is helpful. I've done this plan before but I quit during the holidays when all that scrumptious high-fat, sugar sweet food tempted me.

Staying consistent with my plan is my downfall. I've found that when I completely deprive myself of everything I love to eat I fall off the diet wagon before it hits the first bump on the dusty trail.

Since I have no choice but to adhere to a healthy eating plan that will lower my cholesterol, I've got to have something I know I will stick with. My solution is the 80/20 plan. I'll stay on my plan 80% of the time, but I'll allow myself some flexibility 20% of the time. I can monitor this by how many fat grams I'm taking in during a 24- hour period. Eighty-percent of the time I will make sure I take in less than 60 grams of healthy fat per day. Other times, I'll let my taste buds have a treat and splurge with a small taste of something I crave.

Having flexibility in my health plan will encourage me to stay with it and get myself into better condition; hopefully without medication.








Yvonne Perry is a freelance writer and the owner of Writers in the Sky Creative Writing Services (WITS). She and her team of ghostwriters are ready to assist you with writing and editing for books, eBooks, Web text, business documents, resumes, bios, articles, and media releases. For more information about writing, networking, publishing, and book promotion, or to sign up for free email delivery of WITS newsletter, please visit writersinthesky.com writersinthesky.com New subscribers receive a free eBook Tips for Freelance Writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment