Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Would You Like to Make Staying on a Diet Easy? Try it My Way

First a caveat; This is a very unscientific opinion derived from reading some reports and listening to peoples' experience with different diets and my own experience, described below. Make no mistake I have no intention of promoting or advertising any particular diet. This is just to help people who have had a hard time sticking to a diet and therefore gave up.

I tried dieting only a couple of times because I generally don't have a weight problem (but don't bother to envy me I have plenty of other problems). The reason I went on a diet for a time several months ago was; My husband who was advised by his doctor to lose weight or he was heading for Diabetes Two in a hurry.

I knew he was not going to do it unless I went on a diet also. I had put on some extra pounds so I figured I could lose those at the same time. I am a habitual worrier which seems to keep my weight down most of the time.

The diet I decided on was one of my own combination of higher protein with a different twist, which means I was not going to follow it exactly. I do believe that high protein diets are the healthiest and the easiest to stick to. In short some of our meals staid almost the same like for example our breakfast. I think it is most important to have a good breakfast. I was not going to be without orange juice or a banana daily.

By substituting sugar with other sweeteners and cooking less flour products I removed a lot of carbohydrates from our meals. The dinner and lunch was mostly meats (beef, chicken, pork, fish) and vegetables and/or other protein foods like eggs which are quite healthy by the way. I eat an egg almost daily for breakfast and still have high good cholesterol (HDL) and low bad cholesterol (LDL).

These days when the good cuts of meat are becoming more expensive it is OK to stick with hamburger meat, chicken, tuna fish etc. Some vegetables also are rich in proteins like: beans. dried peas, legumes (anything grown in a pod).

Now the clincher for success of my Dieting "style". I RESTRICTED THE DIET TO ONLY 5 DAYS A WEEK. SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS WERE - DIET FREE. That means on weekends we would eat our normal 3 meals a day including desserts like ice-cream and an occasional alcoholic drink if desired; wine, or beer and even cocktails. What I want to stress is - we ate normally without "pigging out".

Both my husband and I lost weight a little more slowly but still fast enough. My husband's doctor was pleased and we didn't have any problem with staying on the diet. I believe that is the only way to go on a diet. I also think it would probably work with any other Diet as well. The only way to find out is to try. Good luck!








D.SweitzerT.

As mentioned in the article; I mostly used other people's experiences and some articles I read once in a while. My own experience and television news and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment